Monday, March 23, 2009

Still Here

Between rocking a fussy baby, entertaining a 2 yr old, cooking for 6 to 8 people and cleaning up for said people in between, I've neglected posting lately and felt I should let you know I'm alive. Just for the record, we didn't adopt a bunch of kids all of the sudden :). I've spent the last couple of weeks in Nebraska helping my sister. So, here's the mother of all stories about ministry challenges...

Three weeks ago yesterday my newest niece was born. She's perfectly formed-everything where it should be and a head FULL of blond hair to boot (blond newborns don't happen in my family). Blondie is baby #4 to move into the Gospel Wesleyan Chapel's parsonage (which is a modest size house to start with), so I knew my sister would need some extra help adjusting to life with four kids as a solo pastor's wife in a small town. The kicker came when baby was one day old. My sister hadn't even been released from the hospital yet when my brother-in-law broke his ankle--the RIGHT ankle! The new daddy can't drive, new baby can't seem to sleep at night and new mommy is trying to survive. Fortunately, my parents are parked next door (they have a house sized RV) and I flew out when baby was a week old. Between my brother-in-law and sister pastoring two churches 45 miles apart, giving music lessons and accompanying a high school musical next weekend-all with a broken ankle and newborn-it's been a zoo around here.

Today the weather is mimicking life. It's downright violent out there. As I sit here listening to the rumbling thunder and pounding rain, I'm reminded of the story in Mark 4. Jesus and His disciples were crossing the lake in a horrid storm. Jesus was sound asleep in the boat when His disciples woke him asking, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" Jesus seemed amazed at their fear and complete lack of faith.

Lately, I've fought a storm in my own heart. As in most of the rest of the country these days, life is uncertain in our neck of the woods. I feel the sense that God may soon ask more of our family than I'm comfortable with. I believe He's on the move...HE'S on the move and I'm in a holding pattern waiting for His timing to move with Him. I'm not sure what that will look like, which can be unnerving at best. I think I needed to see the physical storm today and read Mark 4 to better understand the spiritual storm. I don't want to hear the words the disciples had to hear. "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" Let me rest along side the God of the storm.

7 comments:

  1. Come home!!! We miss you and I think your husband needs you. He's not the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...Laura said she needed me more :). It's nice to be needed...most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course we miss you and are different without you, but be where you are needed the most right now. Our family's job is serving others. :-) And... it isn't always having you gone that makes me different, it may just be the diet... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too miss your smiling face! The weather here is absolutely gorgeous but sometimes, like you say, the storm is inside. Thanks for the post - very timely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, sister. Thanks for posting your heart - it's a good reminder for me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for coming to help, Kiley. I cannot begin to tell you how much we appreciate it! I don't even know how we would have survived without the help you and Mom gave us the first three weeks of our new baby's life.

    We are doing well now. Mom and Dad have moved back to Merriman and I've had almost a week of trying to function on my own with four kids and "hop along", as you put it. :) I'm learning that I'm capable of more than I thought I was, though sometimes I feel like I'm at my limit. I don't know how single moms do it all!

    Give my love to Mike and the boys -- and a huge hug and kiss for giving you up for two weeks. We can never repay. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie and Jana, so glad the post resonated with you. I'm happy to count you as friends.
    Laura, I hope baby Courtney is sleeping better these days. I really enjoyed getting to spend time with all of you and hoped I was a help while I was there. Ian was pretty happy to have me home and has been quite cuddly since I got back, which doesn't bother me :). Love you a bunch!

    ReplyDelete